Fires at the School

Primary tabs

Displaying 1 - 6 of 6 records
The Indian Helper (Vol. 3, No. 46)
June 29, 1888

The first page opened with a poem selected “by Mrs. Pettinos,” titled “The Sun and the Wind,” followed by a conversation about the meaning of the 4th of July and how an Indian School student might be influenced to extend his time at the school instead of returning to the reservation. Page two...

Repository: Cumberland County Historical Society
The Indian Helper (Vol. 4, No. 11)
October 26, 1888

The first page opens with an untitled poem. The next article titled “Peter Powlass,” contains a letter with news about events at the Oneida, Wisconsin Reservation written by former student, Peter Powlass. It is followed by “U.S. Congress,” that reported the schedule of the Fiftieth Congress....

Repository: Cumberland County Historical Society
The Indian Helper (Vol. 4, No. 20)
January 4, 1889

The first page opened with a poem titled “Look Up!” followed by a report that described, “Our Christmas?” and detailed the holiday events celebrated at the Indian School that included Santa Claus’ visit, who filled students’ hats and stockings with fruit, nuts and candy, and concluded with a...

Repository: Dickinson College Archives & Special Collections
Pratt Details Willingness to Part with School Fire Engine
August 5, 1901

Richard Henry Pratt responds to a letter from the Office of Indian Affairs regarding the fire engine at the Carlisle Indian School. Pratt details that he is not willing to depart with the school's fire engine unless it is replaced with one as equally good.

Format: Letters/Correspondence
Repository: National Archives and Records Administration
Small Fire in the School Building
May 9-28, 1912

Superintendent Moses Friedman informs the Commissioner of Indian Affairs that a fire broke out in a closet underneath the auditorium overnight on May 9 and caused an estimated $250 of damage. Friedman issues a circular to all school employees in charge of buildings "to clear any debris or...

Format: Letters/Correspondence
Repository: National Archives and Records Administration
Report of a Small Fire in the Small Boys' Quarters
October 22, 1913 - November 8, 1913

Carlisle Indian School Superintendent Moses Friedman informs the Commissioner of Indian Affairs of a fire in the clothing room of the Small Boys' Quarters. The fire was caused by a stove, which is normally used to heat flat irons for clothes, over-heating a wall. The fire was quickly put out and...

Format: Letters/Correspondence
Repository: National Archives and Records Administration
Subscribe to Fires at the School