Transfer of Carlisle Barracks from War Department to Interior Department

Transfer of Carlisle Barracks from War Department to Interior Department
Date: 
August 22, 1879

Adjutant General E. D. Townsend states that the Secretary of War has approved the Secretary of the Interior's request to transfer the Carlisle Barracks from the War Department to the Interior. The Barracks will be used as a school for Indian children and will be under the charge of Richard Henry Pratt. The War Department retains the right to reclaim the Barracks whenever deemed necessary or by act of Congress.

Note: This item was copied from U.S. National Archives microfilm reels (M234), which were filmed from the original documents found in Record Group 75, Entry 79, "Letters Received by the Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-80."

Time Period: 
Year: 
Repository: 
National Archives and Records Administration
Location: 
RG 75, M234, roll 483, frames 469-471